Friday, August 20, 2010

Dressed up Dresser

So, remember this guy from a few posts back?


Well....................

TADA!!!!!!!

After much painstaking work, I finally finished her.  And darn if she isn't absolutely beautiful! Seriously, I'm in love....so much so that I almost don't want to sell her....almost.

I started with stripper to remove the old stain (piece of cake).
Then i sanded the whole thing down.
(post sanding)

I wasn't really feeling the woodgrain at first (it was all discolored and weird looking).  But it came out smooth and no terrible markings anywhere.


(post stain and varnish)

Once the stain went on though, it really brought out the beauty of the striped woodgrain.  The varnish just made it that much better.

The hardware was practically black when I found it.  It wasn't until I started scrubbing at them with a wire brush that I realized they were actually supposed to be brass!


(before and after)

2 hours later (and very sore fingers!) I finished cleaning them up and installed them on the drawers.  That was the showstopper right there!
They made the whole piece come together!
Love this shot - look how shiny those handles are!!

This shot with the flash really shows the woodgrain (I just couldn't take enough pictures, it seemed!!)

Anywho, as much as I love her, I would like to find her a special home.  If you know of anyone who is looking, I'll be happy to strike a deal! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hey there! I have a dresser that needs stripping. I'm wondering what type of stripper to use, and what stain and varnish you used. I'm new to furniture makeovers and want to do a bang-up job. So any advice would be great! Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Meghan! Thanks for visiting! The stripper I use is by Klean Strip (available at Home Depot). Mine is a gallon can that came with a spray bottle you fill up and spray onto the furniture. It is a gel-like substance and is less runny than other kinds I've used. It works wonders on old stain - but more work is required on old paint. The stain and poly I usually use is Minwax brand (fast-drying poly is the best). Also available at Home Depot. Word to the wise when just starting out: do it on something that is relatively flat (i.e. dresser or table) and that doesn't have a lot of grooves or ornamental features. This stripper works best on flat surfaces. Use gloves! And invest in some throw-away brushes because I HATE using mineral spirits to clean up. Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions!

      Delete

Hi there. Thanks for leaving some feedback on all of my hard work! I love hearing from everyone - friends and strangers alike. :)